Monday, August 09, 2004

she dreams in technicolor.

Somewhere in Colorado, there's this lake on a mountain that me and Rusty stopped at four years ago when we were on our way to Denver. We just pulled off the slow winding road. He was making a phone call to Denver at the car, and I descended down the grassy hill to try to reach the brilliant blue water. I remember the sky in Colorado that day was almost the same sapphire blue as the water. The clouds were massive white puffs. It was the middle of summer, but the air was cool and the oxygen was so fresh you couldn't help but smile. I was wearing a skirt that day, and my hair was long then, and the gentle winds made both the fabric and my hair dance around my body. I jumped from rock to rock, stopping every now and then to observe a flower. I looked back once and the road and the car and Rusty disappeared with the height; all I saw was grass and sky above me. I stood there on a huge flat rock, still far from ever reaching the edge of the lake. I squatted, and hugged my knees and just watched the colors around me. I could only hear the sounds of the colors as I squinted against the sunlight. Sometimes, I dream about that lake. I can still hear the sounds, remember the colors and feel the air. Sometimes I daydream about that lake and sometimes, I find myself crying when I do think about that lake. I don't know why.
Sometimes I have this reoccurring dream where I find someone on the flat rock sitting and watching the colors. It's always a guy, and sometimes I see a face and sometimes I don't. I feel and hear the wind as I make my way toward that person. I see my lips moving as I say something when I get closer, but I hear no words. The person gets up and turns to me and smiles and then returns words to me...words that I can't hear. I usually see myself smile before I feel his fingers touch my hand. And then always, he turns to walk away. I can always read my lips saying, "wait" and he turns back around as I say nothing else. I feel his lips on mine, and then I watch him walk down to the water. I usually wake right up after that moment. And as always, I bring my hand to my lips because it feels that real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home