Sunday, August 22, 2004

the only important list...ever.

I was sitting around as usual, and I was just thinking about my life, and I've concluded that there's a handful events and a few random facts that really made me appreciate who I am, and how I turned out. These are them, in no particular order:

1.) Devil's Lake: an incident that occurred when I was probably only four or five years old. Long story short: neighborhood bicycle gang, waterfall, bridge,falling bike, dead bodies, pedaling home as fast as we could for our lives.

2.)Driver's Education with Lob Dob Bob, the Instructor: I took driver's ed really late,like when I was seventeen with my friend Brit. His mom knew Lob Dob personally, and Dob knew me, because he was the assistant principle at the first high school I went to. Brit got me stoned for the then second time in my life. That day, after our break, we watched one of those Faces of Highway Death videos...we laughed throughout the entire thing...everyone turned and looked at us sitting at the back table and glared in disgust. Brit and I got the very first driving hours thanks to his mom, which would take us two days to complete...I only had to do one day, because I was that good.

3.) Getting Chased in the Woods: Roxanne and I took Rusty to the spillway in Woodworth, LA. Rusty tried getting high for the first time in his life with us. We got high. Head lights came from the dirt road. Rednecks were yelling at us. "Is that a fucking gun rack?!" We walked calmly back to my car, Rusty panicked, and slipped in this huge puddle of mud. We threw him in the cargo area of the explorer and I drove off. The truck followed us down tiny dirt roads for miles, totally fucking with us. Rusty was scared. I was stoned. Roxanne was laughing.

4.) Spending the Night in Jail: Yeah, I spent a few morning hours in jail...this was last December. I was pissed.

5.)Going to Court for Spending the Night in Jail: This was in like, March. I was still pissed. It was so stupid, like a bogus Judge Judy episode. I ended up paying nearly one grand in fines.

6.) Austin, Texas 1999: I went to visit my sister, Billie in Austin shortly after she moved there. One night, I got to see Pavement,who managed to rock my pants off. Another night, I took in the most monstrous bong hit in history...when I exhaled, it was like an atom bomb went off.

7.) Crystal Meth Party: Summer of 2000, I realized why I'll never do crystal ever again.And I was glad I was leaving the state, and those people.

8.) Going to the Muthaland: I went to Thailand with my mom and Billie the summer after my high school freshman year. It was beautiful. The food was superb. I met my mother's family. Billie and I couldn't speak a word of Thai, but we got by. It really made me realize that being half asian is something worth embracing.

9.) The Day We Got Ben: Ben is my dog, who's half chow chow. I was in the fifth grade, and when we got home from school, there was a note on the table telling us there was a dog in the bathroom. Opening that door rocked. He's the smartest dog in the world, and if I didn't have him growing up, I'd have turned out to be one lonely bitch. He's getting old, but he's still young at heart.

10.) Presenting in Front of My Entire High School: Senior year, I was an editor of my school's literary magazine, and at the end of the year we gave out awards for writing and art. Yeah, I had to read and present in front of all those kids. I was stoned and I took a muscle relaxer, but I nailed that shit and annunciated like mad. I threw up in the bathroom after all was said and done.

11.) Meeting Joseph: Joe made me realize that not all guys are complete jerks when it comes to hanging/making out.

12.) The Grand Canyon: So getting dehydrated and running out of water in the middle of hiking the Grand Canyon is definitely not cool. I was delirious. It was so beautiful in the extreme a.m. hours...by the end of the day, Rusty and I said,"Man,fuck the Grand Canyon." By sunset, we made it to Four Corners, and took awesomely fun photos.

13.) Portland, Oregon Spring Break 2002: I went on my break to visit Billie, who was moving. I landed there three days before she showed up with a truckload of her shit. Traveling and touring a city alone helped me be more independent. I also had my first ever sexual experience with a hot rock climber at the hostel...and from that I learned that an innocent back massage definitely isn't meant to be innocent.

14.)Portland, Oregon Summer 2002: I think it was 2002...I don't remember. It was mine and Rusty's third summer road trip. We went from New Orleans to California. It was the best. I had an awesome birthday in Phoenix. We were big ballers in San Francisco. We did the touristy stuff all along the way. We had two ounces of weed, a handful of muscle relaxers, a cooler full of beer, and thai herb plants in the back for Billie. Rusty and I were buzzed every day and nite. We lost the muscle relaxers the nite of my birthday, and afterward we were complete bitches from coming down off of them...we just drank and smoked more. We were broke after San Fran, and just about all out of weed. We drove to Portland. We got drunk every nite with Billie and her friends. When her scrubby dude showed up with the weed, we took off like madmen into the nite. We drove thru the gorge, and ended up in Idaho. Billie was pissed that we bailed. From this trip, I realized that I was an asshole.

15.) Christmas, 2003: I finally stopped hiding frommy parents that I smoked cigarettes. My parents were really cool that Christmas, because for the first time in forever, all three of their daughters were home at the same time. We all drank Jack Daniel's with my dad...even Rusty came over to drink when his family got heinous.

16.) Losing Weight: Yeah, my weight goes up and down, and whenever it's down, I always feel stellar about everything.

17.) Philadelphia: Going to school and deciding to stay afterward was probably the best mistake I've ever made.

18.) Not Getting High: You know, as fun as it is, and as alive as it's kept me, I've decided that I'm getting too old for it. I'm sure I wouldn't pass up a hit if someone offered, but for now, I'm staying clean. I don't remember too much of the past 8 years of my life. I want to have memories and fun that don't require me to be baked.

19.) Losing my Virginity at 21: Yeah,that was in like December. It was dumb. I hated myself for months afterward. He was a skeeze. But for some odd reason, I felt I had to do it, because at that point in my life I was going through some bad shit and I felt that I was going to die...and I didn't want to leave my life without ever having sex. Obviously, I'm still alive...and as much as I regret it, I really don't. But from that experience, I've realized that I really don't want to ever have sex again unless a.) the dude actually cares about me, or b.) the dude cares enough to sleep next to me even if I never saw him again after the act, because it'd give me the sense that he actually cared.

20.) Pirates and Sailors: They make me smile...arrrrgh!

21.) Laughing and Nearly Pissing Myself: Every now and then, someone has the ability to make me laugh so hard that I have to pee. I love the people who have that power. Last time this happened, I was with Katherine in her car...she was just randomly honking and yelling at people. It was hilarious to us. Silly...but classic. Shit like that keeps me young in a good way.

22.) Menthol to Regular: Dude,I never really realized that I was killing myself with menthol cigarettes. I love me some Camel Menthols, but them bitches is way too harsh. This switch was like,two months ago. I'll have to credit Anthony for keeping me alive a little longer.

23.) Masturbation: For real, I discovered masturbation in kindergarten...and I haven't stopped since.

24.) The Library:(no library in particular) I spent almost all of my high school and a good portion of my college years in the library. I love to read because it takes me to worlds that I sometimes wish I could live in, and introduces me to people that I wish I could meet, or be. The library kept me sane...sheltered, but sane.

25.) Pin Oak Nursery: The family business. I had to work my ass off my entire childhood. My mother worked us to the point of no social life whatsoever. When I was younger, I hated it, but I didn't mind it. I now have this insane appreciation for plants, and a green thumb. Plants gave me and my family everything that we have. Too bad it made me anti-social.

....yeah, I think I turned out alright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home