Monday, December 13, 2004

her insanely insomniac nite.

It's been decided that I lead a dreadfully dull life. I believe that if what I do on a day-to-day basis were a mixed drink, these would be the ingredients: one part starving artist, one part couch potatoe, one part housewife, two parts mac slave, and a twist of nerd...stirred, not shaken. It would also be called a Fucking Mad Genius. "Yeah, Barkeep, can I get a Fuckin' Mad Jeanus?"
But earlier over the phone, when I told Katherine my answer to the question of how my weekend went, she said this: "Well...at least you're staying out of trouble." True indeed. She runs into my arresting officer in Jenkintown a lot; Friday was their most recent encounter, and he always asks her, "...staying out of trouble?" I can never look those cops in the eyes again, not after what I did.
So yeah, Leslie is getting back in that old regimen of being the geek that she always was and is: work, computer, read, sleep.
I've also decided that I'd catch up on my Vonnegut by finishing the books I never got around to finishing, and starting the ones I never got to start. I just finished God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater today...I believe I started it last week. I was only reading a chapter a nite before bed, but the Sabbath is always a good day to polish off the last half of a novel. I actually feel asleep at around 3 o'clock this afternoon, but when I woke up, I picked up where I left off before drifting in and out of consciousness. It was a highly enjoyable read. And so my purpose of coming downstairs was to pick up another book because I can't sleep because I fell asleep, but my computer is right there, and yeah, here I am being a nerd, typing away. But at least I did dig out The Sirens of Titan as the next read; another of his books that I never got around to starting...a copy that apparently belongs to the Multnomah County Library in Portland, OR.
On a completely random note: sometime after I arose from my nap, I went to Wawa to get a sandwich for dinner. When I got home, I was a little disappointed that the chick smothered the top half of my kaiser roll with horseradish. I know I asked for it, but shit, that was a lot of horseradish. Halfway into the sammich, that's all I tasted. Despite my burning nostrils, it was still a good sammich. There should be the option of "Little Bit of Horseradish," much like the "Little Bit of Mayo" option they got going on.
I'm leaving for Louisiana on Saturday. How exciting is that?...toe-toe-totally. It kinda sucks that I won't get to be able to hang out with anyone before I leave. Felicia's in the midst of finals; I believe Alison is as well...and I haven't hung out with either of them since the last time they got mentioned here. I was planning on stopping in to see Katherine and Al on my way since they're not far from the Turnpike, but I neglected to get Liz her present, so I have to take I76 and head west so I can pop over to Microcenter and pick it up, which is going to be a fucking drag on the Saturday before Christ!mas. Trying to get to that fucking Turnpike by way of KofP is gonna bust my balls. It's bad enough on any other given day, let alone on this particular day. Yeah, unfortunately, my only handful of friends won't/can't come see me, so I'll leave without giving a proper adieu like the drifter I am. It's a little heartbreaking when everyone, including myself, is guilty of being a lousy friend. We all try, but not hard enough. Oh well, they know I care.
Am I nuts to drive 1300 miles just to spend a week on vacation?...and then drive back? I think so. Normally when I drive there, I'm staying for at least a month. If I didn't have to bring back a cat to PA, I would've gotten a flight...even though I hate flying. This just may be the last long trip the Explorer will be able to handle. After this, only short, errand time trips. He's seen over half of the U.S., so I don't feel bad for hanging up his atlas. Good times.
You know, the thought of never again being able to take a spur-of-the-moment, halfway-across-the-country roadtrip really frightens me. To not be able to move seems like strangulation...and I hate not being able to breathe. I never imagined myself in one place. And everyone asks me why I chose Philadelphia...to answer: I was stoned. Will I stay?...for at least another year, or so. To be honest, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself...and maybe it's better that way.

"Yeah, Barkeep, can I get another Fuckin' Mad Jeanus over here?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home