Monday, September 13, 2004

she feels her way down the block.

I ended up walking to the PPA today to get my parking permit (finally, I am totally done with the legalities that come along with owning a car in the city.) And so, they're all the way on 31st St., and I'm all the way on 6th St. so obviously, that was a long walk. But it's not like I had anything else to do with my time.
It was just sort of calming to walk alone. I didn't have to deal with anyone, other than the few people who said hello out of kindness all along the way, but those people are always welcome to a warm smile. When I was crossing the bridge on Walnut, over the river, for some odd reason I felt like I was completely at ease. The water was calm, the sun was bright, the sounds of the city became nothing. And there I was, just walking, nothing to care about, nothing to be afraid of.
I like how when I walk to places, I notice the things that I'd never pick up on in a car. Like for instance, I would've never seen the blood splatter patterns on the sidewalk along Market. And I wouldn't have noticed the smell of the specials at the soup and deli joint. It's almost as if I actually become a part of something, but at the same time, I'm still just that ghost.
I stopped off at the bank to deposit a check, and in line I saw something I haven't seen in a long time: two Buddhist monks in their golden robes, and as usual, always with money. I bowed slightly and politely out of habit. And with that, I realized that I missed my mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home